Friday, May 18, 2007

a trilogy of miscentry ... fin

i now know what it feels like to be a celebrity. everyone here STARES at me constantly, and those who speak English inevitably want to ‘be my friend’

if the new American Dream is to win the lottery (which I assert it is), then the new African Dream is to befriend a Westerner who will magically transport them away from here and pay for a life of luxury in Europe or America .... or maybe i’m becoming cynical

Africans love sugar ... even crisps (potato chips) are sweet and have added sugar. ‘glucose’ cookies are also quite popular. on a related note, cooking oil is a cook’s best friend ... fried = deep fried .. and so fried eggs look like they’ve been tempura-battered

there are lizards (geckos?) EVERYWHERE ... in my house, on my house, running past my house ....

one of my evening pastimes (especially since i ran out of videos to watch on my laptop) is listening to the BBC World Service on my little radio. unfortunately, the evening hours are occupied by the programs World, Have Your Say, and Africa, Have Your Say (call-in shows.) a quick note to the world: have your say with your friends please, not on my radio! you are completely biased, know very little about the world at large, and never think your arguments through

[deep breath]

do i sound negative? i hope not .... at the same time, i’m looking forward to returning to civilization in three weeks! :)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi bro, I know it may seem like an eternity but 2 1/2 weeks in the long scheme of your year/life is so nothing. Can't wait to talk to you when u get to the UK :)

May 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home